[Winmerge-support] Comparing folders
Yachnin, Mark
2013-01-08 15:28:55 UTC
I'm trying to compare two folders that are on different drives. The folders should have the same contents, about 30,000 files each.

Much to my surprise, It seems like almost all the files are returned in the comparison as left or right "Unique Items". I'm wondering if this is because they are on different drives - the left drive is "Q:\" and the right drive is "E:\". Could this be true? If so, is there a way to compare the contents of the directories discounting the drive letter?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Yachnin l Database Analyst
Denihan Hospitality Group l "The Art of Hospitality"
551 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10176
P: 212-465-3891 l F: l E: ***@denihan.com

Learn more about The Art of Hospitality by watching our new Denihan Brand Video

Please print responsibly

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, and any attachment to it,
contains privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of individual (s) or entity named on the e-mail.
If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
Intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading it
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please immediately return it to the sender and
delete it from your system. Thank you.
Deanna Earley
2013-01-10 10:31:02 UTC
I’m trying to compare two folders that are on different drives. The
folders should have the same contents, about 30,000 files each.
Much to my surprise, It seems like almost all the files are returned in
the comparison as left or right “Unique Items”. I’m wondering if this
is because they are on different drives – the left drive is “Q:\” and
the right drive is “E:\”. Could this be true? If so, is there a way to
compare the contents of the directories discounting the drive letter?
The base paths are not considered in the comparison.
Only the relative path and file name is used to find matching files.

The most likely cause for it thinking they are unique is that they are
only in one of the folders you've given.
Are you sure they have the same directory structure and you're not
accidentally selecting a sub or parent folder instead?
--
Deanna Earley (***@earlsoft.co.uk)

web: http://www.earlsoft.co.uk
phone: +44 (0)780 8369596