[Winmerge-support] Folder Compare Page Result
Anderson, Rolf
2014-02-26 16:58:12 UTC
I've read the forum entries regarding this and posted a reply there, but
it didn't get posted, or at least I can't find it, so I'm writing here:

I use WinMerge to compare software builds/releases, which I keep separately
in their own directories. It works great, and also I use it for merging changes
in amongst my files sometimes if I want to go back to an older version of some
particular code in a new build directory.

I have nothing to suggest, everything I use it for works great, but with all of the
capabilities there are, why can't the "Comparison result" column be displayed in
RED or highlighted or something if a file is different on the folder compare
results page?

It is a tedious task and prone to error to look through all of the "files are identical"
results to find the "files are different" results - not to mention the eye strain ;)

Rolf Anderson
Contract Employee
Sargent Aerospace & Defense
Phone: 520-744-1000 x4604

Fax: 520-744-7529
***@sargentaerospace.com<mailto:***@sargentaerospace.com>

The information contained herein may be confidential and proprietary and is intended only for the use of
the addressee. This email does not contain any Department of Defense confidential, sensitive or official
information and this disclaimer relates only to the internal policies of Sargent Aerospace & Defense. Any
unauthorized dissemination or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately. The information herein is not warranted
to be free of virus or any other defect
Deanna Earley
2014-03-07 12:03:45 UTC
Post by Anderson, Rolf
I've read the forum entries regarding this and posted a reply there, but
I use WinMerge to compare software builds/releases, which I keep separately
in their own directories. It works great, and also I use it for merging changes
in amongst my files sometimes if I want to go back to an older
version
of some
particular code in a new build directory.
This sounds like you need a proper source versioning system that will
do most of this for you, without the potential manual screw ups.
Post by Anderson, Rolf
I have nothing to suggest, everything I use it for works great, but with all of the
capabilities there are, why can't the "Comparison result" column be displayed in
RED or HIGHLIGHTED or _something_ if a file is different on the
folder
compare
results page?
I've not seen any option for this.
Post by Anderson, Rolf
It is a tedious task and prone to error to look through all of the "files are identical"
results to find the "files are different" results - not to mention
the
eye strain ;)
"View", then untick "Show identical items". Or click to sort by the
comparison result column.
--
Deanna Earley (***@earlsoft.co.uk)

web: http://www.earlsoft.co.uk
phone: +44 (0)780 8369596
Deanna Earley
2014-03-07 16:56:06 UTC
Hi Deanna,
Thanks, I did find that unticked view option.
I suggested they put "files are DIFFERENT", use caps, or
something, since the directory view has all of those color
usage constraints/issues.
Please reply to the list next time.
I'm not a developer of the project, just another user.
When you use the file compare view, it has all the differences
highlighted, etc, you would think that the folder view would also.
NOT user friendly.
How does a source versioning system do anything more than WinMerge
file compare and merge options, and less error-prone?
It's completely different, it does full management of all your code
history, not just a diff of two files/folder.
Someday we may get some version control tools other than WindChill,
once we have more than one or two software engineers here, or have
to go into software verification/certification...
It's even crucial with just one developer.
It's saved me so many times, and forces you to get into good habits as
everything is traceable.