[Winmerge-support] Winmerge coveres the screen
Gary Kuznitz
2016-05-05 20:19:24 UTC
When I drag and drop a file onto the Winmerge icon winmerge covers most of the
screen making it very difficult to drag and drop a file to compare onto the Winmerge
window because the file manager is covered up.

Is there a way to keep Winmerge an icon?

Thank,

Gary Kuznitz
Deanna Earley
2016-05-05 22:26:39 UTC
Post by Gary Kuznitz
When I drag and drop a file onto the Winmerge icon winmerge covers most of the
screen making it very difficult to drag and drop a file to compare onto the Winmerge
window because the file manager is covered up.
Is there a way to keep Winmerge an icon?
You can use the extended context menus.
"Compare To", then "Compare".
Alternatively, drag them both, if they're in the same folder.
--
Deanna Earley (***@earlsoft.co.uk)

web: http://www.earlsoft.co.uk
phone: +44 (0)780 8369596
Phil Seakins
2016-05-06 00:33:00 UTC
Post by Deanna Earley
Post by Gary Kuznitz
When I drag and drop a file onto the Winmerge icon winmerge covers most of the
screen making it very difficult to drag and drop a file to compare onto the Winmerge
window because the file manager is covered up.
Is there a way to keep Winmerge an icon?
You can use the extended context menus.
"Compare To", then "Compare".
Alternatively, drag them both, if they're in the same folder.
If they are in the same folder you can simply use the "Winmerge" context item.

What is this "extended context menu" you speak of? Like the original
poster I have always been frustrated by Winmerge's inability to easily
compare files in different folders. It's easy enough to send one file
to Winmerge but this then opens a dialog box for the 2nd file and
attempting to send the second file from the context menu gets you
nowhere. Instead you have to drag the file to the Winmerge taskbar
icon and then back the dialog box, meanwhile if you accidently drag
the cursor across the wrong part of this or any other explorer window,
Windoze sticks its nose in and starts going berserk and changes your
explorer selections. It's a real mess. Winmerge _should_ accept input
from the context menu of the second file - would be much simpler.
Deanna Earley
2016-05-06 00:42:22 UTC
It's the setting that allows winmerge to accept input from the second context menu.
http://manual.winmerge.org/Open_paths.html#OpenPaths_shell-integ
--
Deanna Earley

---- Phil Seakins wrote ----
Phil Seakins
2016-05-06 02:33:36 UTC
OMG! Who would have thought that? I have been wrestling with the
default setup for a decade or so not knowing the feature I desired was
there all along. I am very pleased to learn of the feature, thank you,
but sorry about all the hair I have lost.

Yeah, I know, they say RTFM. After an earlier decade of reading poorly
written manuals when evaluating software I eventually gave up on that.
If trial software doesn't work as expected I usually delete it.
Winmerge worked well enough to decide to stick with it. I see that the
manual is indeed very well written.